Sunday, May 8, 2011

My Media Diet

Day 1: Monday
3 hours internet
1 hour phone
1 hour television

During the first day, I spent a considerable amount of time on the internet because I had a paper due the next day. I had to do some research on the internet in addition to checking my emails and checking facebook for about a half hour that day. I talked to my mom and dad for an hour to catch up on how their week-end was.

Day 2: Tuesday
4 hours internet
30 minutes phone
30 minutes television

For my Tuesday class, I had to be on the internet for one of my classes for 105 minutes. Also I was on the internet for the usual checking of my emails and doing homework

Day 3: Wednesday
2 hours internet
30 hour phone
1 hours television

During the middle of the school week, my media consumption is usually lower than the end and beginning of the week due to written homework assignments that take up a majority of my day after I am done with class.

Day 4: Thursday
3 hours internet
2 hours television

This day does not represent my usual media consumption of television. Around the end of the week, I tend to be on the internet more and watch t.v. with my friends more. Most of my roommates are the same way since the day before Friday tends to be a very relaxed do whatever you want day.

Day 5: Friday
1 hour internet
2 hours phone

Since I get out early on Fridays, I tend to not go on the internet as much and instead interact with my friends. Although my internet usage was lower than normal, I talk on the phone way more on friday than any other day because I like to call/text my friends and family about what they are going to do for the upcoming weekend.

Day 6: Saturday
1 hour internet
1 hour phone
1 hour television

Day 7: Sunday
5 hours internet
30 minutes phone

The websites that I tend to go on a lot is stumbleupon.com, espn.com for the latest sports updates, and yahoo news. I tend to not watch too many television shows and instead I watch movies.

Until I did this media diet, I never realized how most of my media consumption was based upon my internet use. I was struck by that because I feel that I go on Facebook less than other people my age, but it may be attributed to my high email activity and surfing the internet for homework. I believe that my diet reflects how American society is so dependent on the internet for information and academic sources. Overall, I do not feel that I have anything to change about my media consumption. I do not watch too much t.v. and I limit my facebook use by playing sports outside and personally conversing with my roommates. The only media I tend to loose track of time is on the internet. When I am surfing the web for homework or on www.stumbleupon.com when I am bored, I tend to forget how much time has flown by. My social location influences my media intake because if I am outside or with my friends on the weekends, then I am not as likely to be using my phone or computer. During school days and when I have a lot of homework I will stay inside and more likely be on the internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment